June 12, 2003

You might have noticed the blogroll has been shortened. For a number of reasons, legal and otherwise, I am concerned with linking to sites that are "pseudonymous". Even if I never make reference here to a post on any particular site, the possibilty that I could become a defendant in a defamation action just for including that site in my blogroll troubles me. If I can't actually put a name to the site, I have no idea how credible that person is. In addition, my blogroll has become too large anyway, and this is a good excuse to do some long-overdue editing

Therefore, effective immediately, I will link to no political site unless I can be assured that there is an actual, reliable, living, breathing person at the other end. I make no judgments as to the reason someone might wish to use a pseudonym, nor will I discontinue visiting said sites on my trips around the Net. If that person wishes to remain anonymous, it is none of my business what his reason is, or what his name is. I just happen to distrust news articles that rely on anonymous sources, and I won't traffic in such a practice on any site that has my good name on it.

No comments: