June 28, 2002

Its less than forty-eight hours to the World Cup Final, which I await with great trepidation. I foresee little offensive activity, with Brazil winning 1-0 on a late second half goal. The Germans will be without their most consistent player in the World Cup, and will play for the tie, hoping to win the game on penalty kicks. I’m afraid there will be little excitement. Perhaps the best thing that could happen for those of us who want to see a championship game worthy of the tournament will be if someone scores early, preferably Brazil. That would open things up, and cause both teams to devote more resources to the attack the rest of the game.

Once again, I will venture out to that little piece of Culver City paradise called Joxer Daly’s for the 4:00 a.m. start. I wrote last week about how packed it was for the England v. Brazil quarterfinal game, but what I neglected to point out (in part, b/c I wasn’t there) was that it was almost as jammed for the US v. Germany game the next morning. According to the staff, the place stayed open in the three hours between games, and attracted a different set of fans, most of whom arrived at around 4 in the morning (all of whom paid the $10 cover). I would venture a guess that it will again be crowded, so get there early for the festivities !!!

No comments: