September 22, 2002

According to Google, this is one of the top sites for surfers seeking info about Bush's verbal miscue last week (ie., "fool me once...won't get fooled again"), which for a time led to two of the biggest days in traffic in the five month history of Smythe's World. Since all I did was accurately transcribe the quote, without comment (snarky or otherwise), in my thought-of-the-day box, above, it was a bit of undeserved good fortune for yours truly; by the way, I found the accurate quote from the White House's own website; for their part, the media amended his remarks to reveal what they thought the President meant to say, inserting a "...fool me twice, shame on me" at the end, as if he were a teenage prospect from San Pedro de Macoris, valiantly attempting his first interview in English. According to this Bush expert, however, the gaffe may have been less of a misstatement than previously thought, and more of a character flaw that could prove devastating to the Republic.

No comments: