September 17, 2002

I just found out that my Uncle Sid passed away last weekend. I hadn't seen him since my dad's memorial about four years ago. His memorial is up in Kernville this weekend, and I'm trying to figure out something to say my grandmother, who has now lost two sons. What I did knew of his biography wasn't all that pleasant: he served in the Navy, was agoraphobic, alcoholic, smoked two packs of Camels, suffered through severe depression, and couldn't hold a steady job. Whenever we visited, though, he was always the most interesting person in the room, and I loved the fact that he practically lived in the public library, reading everything he could get his hands on, and developing a thorough knowledge of politics. About ten years ago, he came out of the closet, which is rather late in life for that sort of thing, but it seemed to put him more at ease in fighting his demons. I feel bad that I didn't know him better.

No comments: