February 22, 2003

A good essay on the topic of depression, and the use of anti-depressants, such as Prozac, here. I think it's safe to say that taking Prozac constituted a turning point in my own life, mostly for the better. I feel more confident, and do things now that I would avoid, or procrastinate before doing (one example is what you are reading: there is no way I would have freely published my thoughts six years ago, even if the technology had been available, and if I had, I would have quit after the first week, horrified that something I wrote might not please everybody). Where I differ from the writer is how I recall the emotional extremes; what I lost when I began taking medication was the intensity of the feelings, of the highs and the lows. I still think of those feelings as the times I felt most human.

No comments: