March 26, 2003

On Matthew Yglesias' site, he's picked up on a thread started elsewhere, which is to identify the point in time that a person first began to notice the events in the outside world. Reading his post, and the comments attached thereto, gave me an unpleasant reminder that I'm starting to get old. Yglesias has one of the best blogs out there, consistently thoughtful and erudite, and yet the first major event he remembers really getting into was Operation Desert Storm. Of course, he's only 21. Other comments generally recited events in the '80's and '90's, with a couple posters mentioning the 1979 Iran Hostage Crisis. I was well into high school when the Ayatollah captured our embassy; I even remember arguing with my dad over whether we should support the Shah! And Mr. Yglesias, who basically called me out as a geezer for identifying the assasination of RFK as my turning point, wasn't even born when Ted Kennedy ran for President, was barely a bundle of id when I first started matriculating at Reed College, and claims to have no cognitive memory of world event prior to my second year practicing law. I feel like John Stockton. My life is crap !!

No comments: